Tuesday, February 06, 2007

My latest literary obsession

I've never been a mystery fan per se, although I did enjoy Nancy Drew as a child, and I had a crush on Parker Stevenson and Shaun Cassidy when they were the Hardy boys on TV. I remember in 6th grade, my friend Allison was going to marry Shaun Cassidy and I would marry Parker Stevenson when we grew up. But I guess they didn't wait for us! I digress. But I am completely addicted to a series of novels by Elizabeth Peters. The main character is Amelia Peabody, a British woman who decides to use her inheritance to travel to Egypt (she has always been fascinated by archaeology). She is strong-willed, intelligent, and outspoken. She's also romantic and a fiercely loyal friend. The stories take place in Egypt on various archaeological digs, where mysterious things always happen. The author has thorough knowledge of Egyptology, and an excellent, witty style. I highly recommend the books.

2 comments:

Kate said...

I have not read Elizabeth Peters, but I have read (and was completely addicted to) Ellis Peters. Have you read any of her Brother Cadfael novels? Marvelous historical fiction for adults set in the 1100's in England. I cannot tell you how enjoyable they were. I wish she had not died so she could write more of them! LOL

I will have to look into Elizabeth Peters. Thanks for the recommendation!

Warmly,
Kate

Kate said...

OK, one more comment and then I will let you go for the night! LOL What book would you start with of Elizabeth Peters? I belong to the BookMooch.com and I am going to try to get one to read. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Kate