Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Planning, planning, planning

So I've decided that Monkey Boy's 5th grade year will start the last week of this month. I've ordered all the books, and most have arrived. I'm most looking forward to history (Explorers to 1815) and writing (Institute for Excellence in Writing). He has recently decided he wants to be an author/illustrator when he grows up, and he's writing a book about the adventures of his rabbit. This is the first time he's ever written so much just for fun! So I am hopeful that this year his writing skills will take off.

Here's what we'll be doing:
Veritas Press Explorers to 1815
Student Writing Intensive A (IEW)
Phonetic Zoo
Shurley Grammar
Math-U-See
Building Thinking Skills 2
Linguistic Development through Poetry Memorization (IEW)
Training Hearts, Teaching Minds (Bible devotional based on Westminster Catechism)
Literature: The Twenty-One Balloons, The Phantom Tollbooth, Johnny Tremain, The Sign of the Beaver, Carry On Mr. Bowditch, Dangerous Journey... still need to finalize this list.
And at co-op: science and art, and hopefully Spanish

Whew! I'm looking forward to it!

2 comments:

my5wolfcubs said...

Two thumbs up to Sign of the Beaver & The Phantom Tollbooth!!
Lee (from the WTM board)

my5wolfcubs said...

Oh, I also meant to leave a link to National Novel Writing Month!
http://ywp.nanowrimo.org/
My kids are looking forward to doing it again this year!
Lee