Thursday, October 28, 2004

Krispy Kreme & Proverbs 31

We went to Krispy Kreme this morning. Did you know that you get 6 free glazed donuts and a drink in a travel coffee mug on your birthday, for free? My son is eight years old today! Eight! It's hard to believe that he is eight already. Eight years ago, I held a tiny wide-eyed newborn, and today I watched him scarfing down donuts with his friends. We're having a Lord of the Rings party for his birthday. I expect lots of running around with swords, pretending to be orcs and hobbits and elves. He wants calamari and pizza for his birthday dinner.

Speaking of Krispy Kreme, it's pretty gutsy of them to have the machine on display like that, in this Atkins-crazy world. A Krispy Kreme donut is pretty much the polar opposite of healthy food, yet the place didn't lack for customers, and my friend tells me that the other location nearby is even busier. Which explains why, despite all the bestsellers about healthy diets, Americans are getting chunkier and chunkier.

We seem to tolerate a lot of contradiction in our lives, a disconnect between what we know or believe and the way we actually behave. When I worked at McDonald's as a teenager, a lot of people would come in and order the typical burger and fries, and an ice cream sundae, and a DIET COKE. Yeah, that'll help.

But I have become aware this week (again) how much I am not living out what I truly believe. We were studying Proverbs 31 in Bible study, and the one thing that really struck me about the infamous Proverbs 31 Woman is that she is consistent. She has her priorities, and she has actually organizes and plans her life so that she does what she is.

I have lots of good intentions and can talk a good talk, but I give myself plenty of excuses to explain why I don't keep my house clean enough to invite newcomers to lunch after church, and I feel too overwhelmed to babysit for someone in need, or have the new neighbors over for dinner, and why I have lost 3 pounds instead of the 12 I need to lose, etc.

I guess that will be my New Year's Resolution: less talk, more rock.


No comments: