Thursday, October 16, 2008

Smoky Corn Chowder

I spend more time than I should hanging around on a message board for homeschoolers. I like it because the women (and a few men) are so diverse, and I get to hear opinions and experiences I might not hear from people I see regularly. And, sometimes, I get great recipes there!

Here's one I made a few weeks ago for a friend's family, to welcome their new baby. I made a double batch, and froze half. We had it tonight, with some cornbread (Trader Joe's). Mmmm. Very satisfying.

1 pkg. frozen sweet corn
4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
2 Tbsp butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup each, chopped celery, carrot and red bell pepper (I omitted the celery, because I forgot to buy it)
1 TBsp thyme
1 tsp ground cumin
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
3 large potatoes,peeled, cut into bite-size pieces (I actually left the peels on)
28 oz. chicken broth
1/2-3/4 cup half-and-half

Cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon to paper towels to cook and then crumble. Melt butter in pot and and add onion, celery, carrot and pepper. Cook until tender, about 10 min. Stir in thyme, cumin, salt and pepper. Add potatoes, chicken broth, water, and corn. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer. Stir as needed. Use a blender to puree mixture for 2 minutes and then add half-and-half and remove from heat. Crumble bacon bits on top and serve with corn bread...

Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: