Thursday, October 23, 2008

What I'm reading

I got this book through inter-library loan, and I'm glad I did! It would probably be a great book for Noah to study in high school. I should probably buy my own copy; I have found myself jotting notes and quotes on index cards as I read. Here are a couple of intriguing quotes:

"The etymologist finds the deadest word to have been once a brilliant picture. Language is fossil poetry." (Ralph Waldo Emerson in "The Poet")

And from Veith himself:

"And yet Christians, especially those schooled by the Reformation, would insist that in real life we are saved by a deus ex machina -- our lives are hopelessly tangled and filled with sin until God intervenes by His grace. Christ is a God let down from Heaven; the Holy Spirit does break into our lives."

Added to my "to-be-read" list as a result of this book:

Graham Greene, The Power and the Glory
Walker Percy, Lost in the Cosmos
Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales
A.N. Wilson, Gentlemen in England
Tom Wolfe, Bonfire of the Vanities

And to re-read:

everything by Flannery O'Connor
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: